Wednesday 28 March 2007

The fence is almost finished


The work on the garden fence went well - I now have a lovely light green fence which I am very proud of. It was very hard work, but definitely worth it. This is the beginning of my 2007 garden makeover project, and a new fence is the first part of making a safer home for our rabbits.

It actually started because we had a tragic accident. We had two beautiful rabbits, Shadow and Boxer, but on 30 December there was a huge storm which blew the rabbit hutch over, the roof split open and they escaped. My son likes to believe they got away, but they are more likely to have met a worse fate (foxes probably). We decided to give a home to two rescue rabbits from the RSPCA, and in January we adopted Bramble and Clover, a pretty brother and sister (he is "Calico" - fawn with dark patches and she is black).
Sorry - the photo is taken through the wire mesh of their run - they rarely sit still long enough together to get them in the same photo.

Since the previous accident I really wanted to make the garden more secure, and also to provide a better storm-proof home. We bought a second hand wendy house - when it is painted and cleaned up, it will make a fantastic spacious home for them, which will not only give them plenty of space but will be totally fox proof. We may even adopt more rabbits... I hope to post photos as my project progresses. As I can't afford to pay someone to come and do all the hard landscaping, I will be doing it all myself; I built the fence myself, and the next step will be to lay a new base to stand the wendy house on, and lay a path, etc. It's a bit of a learning curve but I'm very pleased with what I've achieved so far. The only real disadvantage is that my hands are in a bit of a mess (cuts and splinters and very rough skin) so knitting is a bit difficult!
I like the colour of this fence so much - I can't stop looking at it!






1 comment:

Joanna said...

Captain Rupert thinks Bramble and Clover are lovely, and is very sorry to hear about the terrible night. He is sure the fox did not not get them and they have gone on a wonderful journey finding new bits of grass to chew. He know the fox thing worries me, I put extra bars on his hutch, its not enough just to have the normall catches or the bolts you have on loos and bathrooms. The Mr fox can open them apparently and we don't want to risk it. Captain Rupert is looking forward to seeing the new wonderfull sounding rabbit house, his going to be wanting one of his own.