Thursday 28 June 2007

When the diet goes out the window



I'd been very good for the past few weeks, trying to eat sensibly and hoping to lose a bit of weight. But I was tempted by the Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins I saw on Pink Purl's blog. My amazing daughter, now back from Romania, loves banana nut loaf, and so Sunday became a baking day.


Trying to multi-task I managed to make a mistake with the muffins - I omitted the egg and the first six were already in the oven before I realised (I only have one muffin tin). The recipe called for one egg, so I beat up an egg and put half of it into the remaining mixture. The two batches looked similar, but as it turned out I actually preferred the mixture without the egg - it was more like a scone, and you can't beat a good scone.

The banana nut loaf is always popular round here (I regret to say I like mine with butter on!). I've been using the same recipe, cut from the back of a flour bag, for many many years. Unlike most recipes, I've never seen any need to change it at all as it is easy, it works every time and I've never known it to go wrong (other than the time I didn't have any greaseproof paper to line the tin and couldn't get it out without breaking it).

So easy - if anyone actually reads this and would like the recipe I am happy to put it up - though I can't give credit to the originator as I can't remember which brand of flour I was using that long ago!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! My first visit here, after you so kindly visited my blog...You have a great place here at your blog! I look forward to coming back and reading more. Thanks for the mention. And it sounds like your "mistake" in the muffins turned up treats! I'll have to skip the egg next time I make those muffins. Oh, yes, do post the recipe for your banana bread, it looks scrummy! It looks lovely where you are, and those bunnies are sooo sweet! Happy weekend to you & yours! :o)