Saturday 12 May 2007

My Journey to Work

Although I am not originally from Essex, since I've lived here for over 15 years I have come to love many things about this county. I'm originally from the West Country, and much appreciate the drier climate here, and the distinct lack of hills (which as a cyclist I do prefer!).

One of the things I like about living in mid Essex is the proximity to the countryside. On my short journey to work each day, I am fortunate enough to travel along a very attractive path, which is surrounded by trees, with the River Chelmer running alongside.

Most days I cycle to the office along this path and cross over the river via a footbridge. It's very pleasant, and as the seasons change there are so many lovely things to see. I actually took these photos about two weeks ago, and in just that short time everything has become even more lush, there are even flowers opening on the water lilies in the river (the variety is Brandy Bottle - though I've never got near enough to catch a whiff of the scent that gives it it's name!).


Recently, one bank of the river was banked up with willow, which is a natural means of reducing erosion. It is quite attractive, and apparently in a couple of years there will be a lovely willow hedge holding everything firmly in place.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also being from the West Country and also living in Essex I know exactly what you mean about the drier climate - that is a real bonus as far as I'm concerned. Not being a cyclist I do miss the hills though. From my mum's house (very high up at the top of a 'killer' hill) there is the most spectacular view of the start of the Cotswolds and I do miss vistas like those in the much flatter landscape of Essex. However, I've been really surprised by some of the wonderful wild and unspoilt countryside, especially around the coast that Essex has to offer - some of that is truly spectacular. Especially when you've been used to the delights of Weston-super-Mud.