Tuesday 24 April 2007

Keeping busy

The work on the garden hasn't been progressing as well as I hoped. After putting up the fence, the next part of the plan was to remove the ugly crazy paved path. Unfortunately, when lifting the slabs I found another (very solid) concrete path underneath. This means a lot more work than I had bargained for; it will involve either breaking it up - which will be very difficult, or altering my plans and paving over the path. My garden is very small, and this will mean a rethink about where the main elements (hard surfaces, planted areas etc) will be. So, it's back to the drawing board.

Not much knitting got done over the past week, but I did get in plenty of reading. This week I have read Small Island by Andrea Levy, The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly, Promise Me by Harlan Coben and have nearly finished Coastliners by Joanne Harris. I have a lot of books on the shelf waiting for their turn, maybe something by Minette Walters or Anita Shreve next. I need a gadget that turns pages so that I can read and knit at the same time....

My daughter is in an amateur production of Hello Dolly at the Theatre Royal in Bath this week - I'm planning to drive up on Friday and to take my mum to see the matinee performance on Saturday, so very little hope of doing anything to the garden this week. I'll have to take a few days off work and make some progress or before you know it the summer will have gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the garden - sounds like it's going to be hard work, but hopefully when it's all done you'll look back and consider it worth it! Exciting though about your daughter - I'm always glowing with pride when I go to Amy's ballet recitals and school plays - must be even more so when it's a proper production in a theatre - hope you all enjoy it!